Wassail, traveler, and welcome to The Gable Grey -- a place of retreat, of renewal, and of resistance: a tree-shaded refuge in Dark Times. Now pass the threshold, and rest from journeys! For a cold wind is blowing; and here, if you wish, you may hear tidings of the world without...

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Goodbye, Fb

Recently I deactivated my Facebook account.  I did so because it was occupying what I considered an inordinate amount of my free time, which was not really so free; and I found that, typically, most people respond to pictures of children and animals but do not respond to any attempts at discussion of serious issues.  Links to articles on AGW or energy or government surveillance and the like seem to be generally ignored.

I don't know that I will be gone permanently from Facebook, but so far I do not miss it too much.  There are moments when I want to see what my Facebook "friends" are up to, but I resist the urge.  I want a more firm grounding in reality (at least, what constitutes reality for me).  In addition, I have found more energy for time devoted to The Gable Grey, which has been languishing during the past couple of years of personal upheaval.  I hope to turn that trend around, or at least to halt it somewhat.  This blog may still have use as a means of personal expression for me.


Wassail, friends. -- C.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whiles carried o'er the iron road,
We hurry by some fair abode;
The garden bright amidst the hay,
The yellow wain upon the way,
The dining men, the wind that sweeps
Light locks from off the sun-sweet heaps --
The gable grey, the hoary roof,
Here now -- and now so far aloof.
How sorely then we long to stay
And midst its sweetness wear the day,
And 'neath its changing shadows sit,
And feel ourselves a part of it.
Such rest, such stay, I strove to win
With these same leaves that lie herein.

-- William Morris, from
"The Roots of the Mountains"